Paducah Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Seeking Full Recoveries for Clients
Bicycle accidents are, unfortunately, fairly common, because bicyclists are allowed on public roadways and people frequently use bikes to get to and from places. There were more than 467,000 bicycle accident injuries in the U.S. in 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), resulting in medical costs and losses adding up to more than $10 billion. If you were injured in a bicycle accident caused by negligence, whether it was through being struck by a car while crossing the street or being side-swiped in the bike lane, you should hire our Paducah bicycle accident attorneys. Katz Law has been devoted to fighting for injured clients since 1998 and has recovered millions of dollars in damages. You can trust us to help you get back on your feet and return to your normal life following a devastating accident.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
While bicycle accidents can happen anywhere and be caused by a variety of factors, 90% of bicycle accident deaths are caused by impact with motor vehicles. These are fairly common because bicyclists are often crossing busy streets and riding in roadways alongside cars. Because of the large disparity between the size of cars and the speed at which they travel, as compared to bikes, when a bicyclist is hit by a car, significant injuries and medical bills usually result.
Common causes of collisions involving bicyclists include:
- Cars cutting off bicycles when entering streets, such as by backing out of a driveway or turning out of a parking lot
- Cars making right turns and cutting off bicyclists in the bike lane
- Cars rear-ending bikes when trying to drive around a car parked in the bike lane
- Drivers hitting bicyclists in the bike lane by opening car doors
- A driver or bicyclist runs a stop light or stop sign
- A bicyclist makes an unsafe maneuver
While many drivers believe bicyclists aren’t allowed on roadways, this is false. Bicyclists can ride in streets with cars and always have the right of way if they’re in the designated bike zone. Beyond car accidents, there are also other kinds of accidents that can cause injuries involving bicycles.
Bicyclists can also be injured when:
- The bicycle is damaged, poorly manufactured, or defective
- A bicyclist collides with another bicyclist
- A bicyclist collides with a pedestrian
- A bicyclist is attacked by an animal, such as a dog
Bicycle injuries often include sprains, fractures, and broken bones, such as wrist injuries, elbow injuries, and leg injuries. Bicyclists can also suffer from spinal cord and neck injuries and head and brain trauma if they fail to wear helmets.
In most cases involving auto accidents, drivers can be held liable for their negligent actions. Common causes of car accidents that injure bicyclists include reckless driving, distracted driving, and driving while intoxicated. However, liability can fall to various parties depending on the nature of the accident.
Parties that can be held accountable include:
- Government agencies responsible for road maintenance or design in cases where poorly maintained roads cause accidents
- Bicycle manufacturers, if a defective part like a broken bike brake cause the accident
- Dog owners, if a dog attacked and bit a bicyclist
- Pedestrians or other bicyclists who violate the victim’s right of way
You need to hire a bicycle accident attorney to determine who is liable for your damages. Our law firm has extensive resources and decades of success, all of which we can apply to your unique case. Through our investigation and hard work, we can determine that the guilty party had a duty of care to you and that they breached this duty and caused your injuries.
After establishing negligence, our team has been able to recover damages for clients including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. When you hire our firm, you can focus on healing knowing that we have the rest covered.
Call our bicycle accident attorneys in Paducah at (270) 778-0020.
Highly Recommend!- Garry H.
Thank you!- Former Client
Extremely professional- Ben V.
The best lawyer in Paducah!- Shea B.
Highly Recommend!- Janie M.