Here’s what you should know about Kentucky car accidents and traffic safety statistics.
Kentucky Traffic Safety Statistics
From rear-end collisions to head-on crashes, motor vehicle accidents come in many forms. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet reported the following traffic safety statistics for 2021:
- 131,208 accidents occurred, a 9.8% increase from the year before. 1 of every 22 drivers licensed in Kentucky was involved in a traffic collision in Kentucky. 1 in 150 Kentucky residents was injured in a traffic collision.
- 746 fatal accidents occurred, resulting in 806 deaths, a 5.4% increase from the year before. 1 of every 5,526 Kentucky residents died as a result of a fatal traffic collision on a public road in Kentucky.
- By age, 15.2% of all persons killed in traffic collisions were in the 15 to 24 year old age group. By sex, there were 575 men and 230 women killed.
What Are The Different Types of Motor Vehicle Accidents?
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet recognizes eleven different types of car collisions and reported the following statistics for 2021:
- Collision with Moving Motor Vehicle – 68,920 collisions
- Collision with Fixed Object (such as guardrails, street signs, and trees) – 18,375 collisions
- Collision with Parked Vehicle – 6,572 collisions
- Non-Collision (Other) – 6,118 collisions
- Collision with Deer – 2,988 collisions
- Collision with Animals (excluding deer) – 2,814 collisions
- Collision with Object (Other) – 1,517 collisions
- Collision with Pedestrian – 916 collisions
- Non-Collision Overturned – 733 collisions
- Collision with Pedalcyclist – 311 collisions
- Collision with Train – 27 collisions
While collisions with other moving motor vehicles were responsible for approximately 68% of all collisions reported, they accounted for only 41% of all fatalities. Conversely, collisions with fixed objects accounted for only approximately 18% of all collisions but 31% of all fatalities.
What Should I Do After An Accident?
If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, you should obtain an experienced car accident attorney, regardless of fault. An attorney can help you receive full and fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Additionally, an experienced lawyer can protect your rights to sue the responsible party if necessary. In some cases, insurance companies might try to deny or minimize a claim by suggesting that the accident was caused by something else.
Professional Attorneys in Paducah
After an accident, an attorney can help make sure you and your loved ones receive the compensation you deserve. No matter what type of motor vehicle accident you were involved in, it is essential to understand your rights and responsibilities.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, call Katz Law today at (270) 778-0020 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your same-day consultation. Our team is passionate about helping those in need and helping them move forward.